By Melanie Lawson, founder of Bare Biology
Omega 3 is a long-chain fatty acid found in marine animals and some plant oils. It is an essential polyunsaturated fatty acid that we need for our bodies to function properly. EPA and DHA, found almost exclusively in fish and seafood, are the two most important and researched types of Omega 3. Considered very beneficial, it promotes cardiovascular, brain, joint, nerve, visual, skin and immune health. It is imperative that our diets include Omega 3 and, as we cannot produce it, we have to consume it.
Here are the key facts you should know about Omega 3, provided by the Melanie Lawson founder of the only UK fish oil with 5* IFOS certification for strength, purity and freshness:
- Omega 3 is vital for a healthy heart; a daily dose of 3000mg is recommended for lowering blood pressure and blood triglycerides.
- Omega 3 is central to brain development; it may help slow down age-related memory loss, may alleviate depression and support Autism, ADHD, Alzheimer’s and dementia sufferers.
- Omega 3 aids learning and improves behaviour in children; decreased levels of DHA have been linked to impaired learning and behaviour.
- Omega 3 is beneficial for baby and mother DHA is essential for baby’s brain development and may help prevent post-natal depression.
- Omega 3 is key in supporting fitness efforts; it may increase muscle mass and oxygen supply, improve cardio endurance and cognitive performance and reduce joint inflammation and risk of injury.
- Omega 3 is crucial to visual and skin health. Omega 3 can help contribute to healthy function of eye tissue, moisture & tear production; they also boost internal skin hydration & elasticity and may protect against sun damage & ageing. We like to think of it as an internal moisturiser.
Bare Biology is the leading premium Omega 3 brand in the UK. It’s the first UK Omega 3 brand to be independently certified for strength, purity & freshness and has products for every life stage – Lion Heart capsules, Lion Heart liquid, Bump & Glory (for pregnancy) and Super Hero (for children). Stockists include Liberty, Whole Foods and Planet Organic. For more information head to www.barebiology.com